Thursday, September 23, 2010

This book couldn't possibly get any funnier...

I have been DYING over Mr. Collins. It would take me all day to type out all the parts about him, that make me laugh. That whole exchange when he is trying to convince Elizabeth to marry him, was unbelievable. "I am not now to learn that it is usual with young ladies to reject the addresses of the man whom they secretly mean to accept, when he first applies for their favour; and that sometimes the refusal is repeated a second or even a third time. I am therefore by no means discouraged by what you have just said, and shall hope to lead you to the altar ere long." So funny I can't even take it. I love when Mr. Bennett says, "An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents, Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do."

I am completely entertained and yet equally saddened at Charlotte marrying Mr. Collins. She can hardly stand him! "When Mr. Collins would be forgotten, there was really a great air of comfort throughout, and by Charlotte's evident enjoyment of it, Elizabeth supposed he must be often forgotten." Hilarious, yet so sad. I don't quite know what to think of the whole thing. Charlotte knew exactly what she was getting into, and actually orchestrated the whole thing. But, I still feel sorry for her.

So I am on Chapter 6 of the second volume. Mom you're way ahead of me. Sarah what about you? Paige?

Rachel

1 comment:

Carr Family said...

Rach, I'm in the exact same place. I've been reading the 3rd Hunger Games because I was dying to finish the series. I'll get back on the P&P right away!

I agree about Mr Collins and Charlotte. I think we feel bad for her because of her view of love and marriage... it's practical but awful.